Tag Archives | pbs
PBS NATURE CRACKING THE KOALA CODE

PBS Nature: Cracking the koala code

PBS Nature: Cracking the koala code Follow individual koalas from a small social group on an Australian island to learn just how a koala manages to survive and thrive on a diet poisonous to almost all other herbivorous mammals. From the miracle of marsupial birth to tender moments of discovery between mother and newborn joey,…read more

Read full story Comments { 0 }
dr bill ellis with koala

Cracking the Koala Communication Code with Dr. Bill Ellis

Dr Bill Ellis is revered contributor to the Koala Land report. His knowledge and work towards the koalas survival and the conservation of its habitat is having a profound impact. Below is an interview by PBS Nature for the release of Cracking the Koala code. Cracking the Koala Code Koala Communication: An Interview with Dr.…read more

Read full story Comments { 0 }
pbs nature cracking the koala code

Cracking the Koala Code: Fact Sheet

Class: Mammalia Subclass: Marsupialia Order: Diprotodontia Family: Phascolarctidae Genus: Phascolarctos Species: cinereus Size and weight: Koalas average 27-36 in (70 to 90cm) in length and weigh anywhere from 9 to 20 lbs (4-9 kg). Females tend to be both slightly smaller and slightly less heavy than males.  Southern koalas are approximately 30% larger than their…read more

Read full story Comments { 0 }
crazy koala fight

Cracking the Koala Code Video: A battle for territory

Apparently koala fighting for territory results in one of the males backing down 96% of the time. The other 4% of the time it’s on like an MMA fight, but fluffier, and in a tree. Watch A Battle for Territory on PBS. See more from Nature. A fight erupts between two koalas after one of…read more

Read full story Comments { 0 }
koala climbing a fence

Cracking the Koala Code video: A Koala Roams the Suburbs

This video really brings to light the difficulties koalas face navigating the rapidly expanding urban landscape, young male koalas seeking potential mates are often forced into backyards and across roads when migrating to neighbouring colonies to produce offspring. Watch A Koala Roams the Suburbs on PBS. See more from Nature. A male koala roams the…read more

Read full story Comments { 0 }
koala preparing eucalytptus

Cracking the Koala Code Video: Preparing for a eucalyptus diet

A baby koala consumes his mother’s pap, a secretion that will give the joey the bacteria needed to digest eucalyptus leaves. Watch a scene from Cracking the Koala Code which premiered May 16, 2012  on PBS Nature. Watch Preparing for a Eucalyptus Diet on PBS. See more from Nature. Source : http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/cracking-the-koala-code/video-preparing-for-a-eucalyptus-diet/7704/ Cracking the Koala…read more

Read full story Comments { 2 }
Koala and joey in a tree PBS Nature cracking the koala code

Cracking the koala code preview on PBS Nature

PBS have a beautifully shot piece on the mysteries of the koala bellow featuring on Nature. Keep an eye out for it in your local guides. Watch Cracking the Koala Code – Preview on PBS. See more from Nature. Cracking the Koala Code Introduction Loud bellows ring out from a small pocket of forest surrounded…read more

Read full story Comments { 0 }